2016 One Valve Competition
The 2016 competition will be for a one valve receiver.
It will be judged at a special event on Sunday 13th March 2016, at the Ferny Districts Amateur Fishing Club.
The judging will precede lunch. Entry fee will be $5 OR a cake/dessert prepared by the entrant. There will be a secondary competition for the cake/dessert.
The rules are as follows:
- Any one valve may be used, including more than one electron stream as long as they are in the one envelope.
- A separate semi-conductor detector diode (but not a second valve) may be used.
- The receiver must be submitted for judging with its own power source and headphones or speaker.
- It may be powered by battery or mains. The power supply may contain valves.
- If powered by mains power, the mains wiring should be such that it is inaccessible while the set is operating and the chassis must be earthed to the mains plug earth pin.
- If the receiver is considered unsafe by the judges it will be disqualified.
- The receiver may tune more than one band, but it will be judged on its performance on the broadcast band (550Khz to 1600Khz).
- A circuit diagram and explanation of the circuit must be supplied along with references to any points of interest regarding the construction or operation of the receiver.
- All receivers will be judged as follows:
- On air performance - 40 points
- Construction technique - 30 points
- Appearance - 30 points
- Note: the "On Air Performance" will take into account the type of circuit and award points accordingly. For example, a TRF will be judged on its performance as such and not judged against a Regen or Superhet receiver (this will be a challenge for the judges).
Judging was carried out by Peter Hadgraft and Peter Gofton.